Chimney Remover: Rebuilding from Old
The chimney is the strongest smoker in the house. As in the case of humans, in the course of time, this becomes the substance. If the vent can no longer work to its full capacity, a refurbishment is under way.
Once a year, before the start of the heating season, every homeowner should check his chimney in detail. Who waits too long until the chimney sweep announces the defects, could have a rude awakening. The men and women dressed in black can sing a song about what homeowners overlook everything: Birds nest here, the last winter left a crack, the stainless steel pipe consists only of galvanized iron pipe, cobwebs, foliage - the list is endless. But all these things have one thing in common: they negatively affect the performance of the fireplace. It therefore becomes time to act.
The new chimney sweep-craft law
Since January 1, 2013, the new chimney sweep craft law, which allows homeowners, the tasks around the chimney, ie the turn, exhaust gas path test and the Measuring immission protection, to transfer to other providers. At the same time, real estate owners have a duty to ensure that their chimney including the heating system is regularly inspected and cleaned. The responsible district chimney sweep must continue to run the hearth twice in seven years.
Most chimneys in Germany continue to consist of brick bricks. These contain at least one flue, called a train. In such a fireplace is called a single-shell design. Anyone who has equipped their house with a modern heating system now owns a pipe made of stainless steel - that is, a two-shell variant.
Anyone planning to upgrade their heating system automatically turns their old chimney into a refurbishment. Either one leaves an acid-resistant, double-walled exhaust pipe in the chimney draft, which is resistant to water vapor, or one chooses a new stainless steel chimney, which can be installed outside the building.
4 Considerations to consider in chimney renovation
Before If you are rushing to refurbish the chimney, you should think twice:
- Standards : The requirements for a chimney are set by country building regulations. Since these are only very general, they are supported by DIN standards and the firing ordinance. The former bring technical requirements and instructions to the table. The firing ordinance, on the other hand, specifies which safety requirements the firing system must meet.
- Chimney Sweep : Not only does it bring good luck, it is also essential in the planning and installation of a chimney. With his experience he is without question the most important contact person. His opinion should be obtained before the start of construction. For more information about the chimney sweep, see below.
- Building Permit : Whether or not this is necessary depends on the applicable state building regulations. In the case of small and medium sized buildings, a building permit is not necessary in most cases. Here, too, it helps to consult with the chimney sweep.
- Chimney arrangement : In the context of planning the renovation of a chimney plant, among other things, its location must be determined if the old chimney is replaced by a new one. In order to avoid errors and thus higher costs in chimney construction, the planned location must be considered from all possible points and selected accordingly.
Why a chimney sweep requires a purchase
The chimney sweep is more than just a partner in planning the chimney. He is the one who will remove the entire installation in the end. No component is as important as the fireplace in combination with the chimney and flues. They have to fit together perfectly, be built-in and work. Incorrect installation can damage not only the building, but also the inhabitants, as a case from 2008 shows. Subsequent improvements are possible, but cause unnecessary additional costs.
According to the surveys of the chimney sweep trade for the year 2013 (PDF, 1.2 MB), deficiencies were found in the following amounts:
Shortcomings of combustion plants 2013
The high number of defects is the main reason why a chimney sweep has to remove the installation , In North Rhine-Westphalia, this acceptance obligation in the state building code (BauO NW) is under & sect; (7) In the construction or modification of chimneys and in the connection of fireplaces to chimneys or flues, the building owner has to be certified by the district chimney sweep master that the exhaust system itself is in a proper condition and suitable for the connected fireplaces. When constructing chimneys, the shell condition should also be inspected before the certificate is issued. In the meantime, practically all manufacturers of chimneys, fireplaces and flue pipes as well as the technical regulations demand that the fireplace be inspected by the district chimney sweep master. Without a defect-free certificate, the insurance company could refuse to pay a premium in case of emergency.
The district chimney sweep inspects the following:
that the combustion air supply to the fireplace is satisfactory
that the fireplace is leakproof and therefore fire and operationally safe
- that the chimney is leak-proof and fire-proof and reliable
- that no moisture or sooting can take place on the chimney or exhaust system
- The chimney sweep certificate should be kept well after installation
- The Three Forms of Chimney Refurbishment
- Homeowners have three options to counteract advancing or existing pollination:
The first method that requires the least amount of effort is to provide better ventilation. This is possible by adding a so-called draft regulator, also called secondary air device, retrofitted. Due to the better ventilation in the chimney, less moisture can settle in it.
Since the first method is not possible in all cases, there is a second: Here, a specialist uses stainless steel pipes in the existing chimney. On the one hand the chimney is reduced in size, on the other hand the material does not rust. In turn, moisture can not settle in the masonry of the chimney.
As with the roof insulation, good insulation in the chimney is also a matter of course. An additional insulation ensures that the chimney cools less quickly and moisture can not settle.
- The alternative to the second method is the installation of a completely new stainless steel chimney on the outside of the house.
- More and more homeowners switch to a modern one stainless steel chimney. Companies like Schaugsteinwelt Grosshandel Klug (to the homepage) not only offer these variants online, but also sell them including assembly and other related work. Interested parties can purchase a complete package consisting of a new chimney including installation. So you make sure that the chimney is properly mounted and connected.
- Choosing the right chimney made of stainless steel
If it comes to renovating the chimney or buying a new one, homeowners need to know about the many different quality and price differences
The differences between the products can be described in three points:
: About ten years ago, the minimum wall thickness was 0.6 millimeters. In the meantime, they are also available in 0.4 or 0.5 mm. The reason is the possible savings of 50 percent at 0.4 mm and 20 percent at 0.5 mm compared to the thicker 0.6 mm.
- : Decisive here is the resistance against corrosion, which is stated in the following classes: VM
- V1 V2
- V1 to V3 have the corrosion test according to DIN EN 1856- 1 successfully passed. The higher the number behind the V, the higher the quality.
- Material quality
- : The decisive factor is class V4A, which proves that the inner tube is acid-resistant. Here, too, there are individual differences: the 1.4404, for example, proves that stainless steel resists even aggressive combustion products. Whether the customer has bought a V4A chimney, he can easily test: Because such a product is not magnetic.
- : The minimum thickness of the insulation between the outer and inner tube of a double-walled fireplace is 25 millimeters. A thick gauge makes for a better draft, as the exhaust gases have less time to cool down. Artikelbild: © romakoma / Shutterstock