Clogged Toilet: Causes and Solutions
Broken toilets are a big problem for consumers. Often, defects are not consciously perceived, because the way to the toilet and the function of these are too natural. As a home improvement you should be more concerned with the toilet and its function. Only then do you learn how much these products are used on each visit to the bathroom.
Constipation is a classic defect in a toilet. It has many causes, mostly the consumer has misused the toilet. Some blockages can be liberated with simple tools that should be in the house. Others, however, require the service of a professional.
The different toilet systems
The toilet has a long history in Europe. Already in ancient times, Romans and Greeks used public toilets, which flowed into sewers (sewers). The oldest sewage system, called Cloaca Maxima, was 600 BC. Built on behalf of King Tarquino Prisco. Although the people had to visit public toilets, there were wealthy Romans who owned their own latrines.
The first loo, as we know it today, was invented in 1596 by Sir John Harrington. Water closet, WC for short, he called his toilet with built-in flushing water. The invention could not prevail. Later, in 1870, Thomas William Twyford of Hanley invented the first ceramic toilet, making him a pioneer in sanitation.
Today, there is no lack of a toilet in any modern building. But different standards for toilets have developed in every country. In this country one distinguishes first between different cisterns:
- floor toilet, attached cistern
- floor toilet, cistern below the ceiling
- hanging toilet, attached cistern
- hanging toilet, cistern in front wall
In modern apartments are in the Usually to find the last two variants. In particular, the wall toilet with a cistern, which disappears in the stem wall, is popular. However, their repair is a little more difficult as the cistern can not be easily opened.
Releasing the clogged toilet
There are the strangest stories and cases around clogged toilets, as this infographic demonstrates. In it is reported by missing toilet brushes and fire hoses, the toilets have clogged. But it does not have to be such a strange and extreme scenario right away. Even conventional problems in everyday life can lead to constipation in the toilet. Consumers need to know what to do in such cases.
If the toilet is clogged, the drain must first be freed. The right tool for this task is the pool, also called rubber vacuum cleaner or suction cup. It basically creates an overpressure so that blockages are pushed down. The countermovement again creates a negative pressure. In this way, the blockage in the pipe is moved and released.
The classic pool is actually not suitable for toilets. There are so-called runoff rammers that have the same function. However, their dimensions are adapted to the toilet drainage.
Pipe Cleaning Spiral
For stubborn blockages that the drain pusher can not solve, the pipe cleaning spiral is used. These are available in manual and electrical versions.
The utensil is carefully inserted into the drainpipe. Slowly turn the spiral so that it moves through the tube until it hits the blockage and releases it by the rotation. For stubborn blockages, it may be necessary to free the spiral in the opposite direction and to start several tests.
For extra long pipes, electrical pipe cleaning spirals are used. However, the purchase of these products is not worth it for home improvement. If the manual pipe cleaning spiral can not solve the blockage, a professional should be commissioned to deal with the topic of pipe cleaning.
In order to avoid future clogging, it is worthwhile to inspect the cistern more precisely:
- A common cause of clogged toilets is too weak toilet flushing. In this case, the problem does not go out of the cistern per se, namely that is easily filled. Instead, the water pressure is too weak. This in turn can have several causes. It usually helps to decalcify the cistern because deposits (from lime, urine) have formed. The toilet can be decalcified with appropriate acids (citric acid, acetic acid).
- If no deposits are found in the cistern, the problem could be solved by properly adjusting the inlet valve with float. By turning the pitch wheel (to the right), the water inlet will be turned off later. Now more water flows into the toilet keys and rinses everything in its path completely.
- If the water slowly flows into the cistern, several components can blame: flexible hose, inlet or angle valve. These are to be replaced in turn.
Landlords must bear the cost of a clogged toilet themselves if they are to blame. It looks different if there is a defect that was not triggered by the tenant. In this case, tenants have to calculate a rent reduction.
Consumers are often blamed for clogged toilets
It is often consumers who have clogged toilets and the above measures are needed. Incorrect use of the toilet will in most cases lead to constipation. The following mistakes should be avoided:
- Toilet paper : The excessive use of toilet paper clogs many toilets. It takes a while for the paper to dissolve in the water. If you use too much paper, you risk damaging your toilet.
- Flushing : The switch to operate the flush has two levels. The longer stage should be used for the big business. Although the former saves water, it increases the risk of the toilet becoming clogged up.
- Disposal : Cat litter, tampons, food scraps and other items are in the trash, not the toilet. The stinking mixture clogs the drain.
Apart from the wrong behavior, it also helps to take measures to prevent constipation: bowl and the toilet must be cleaned regularly. Clearing erodes calculus and urine stone, allowing water to drain off.
The toilet is used by many consumers without worrying about their maintenance. For this reason, it can lead to a blockage, which must be corrected appropriately. In many cases, do-it-yourselfers can free the blockage on their own. Otherwise, you must request the help of a professional.
Artikelbild: © Africa Studio / Shutterstock