Pasting over tiles - an alternative to renovation
For some, the 1970s tiles are retro-chic, for others, they are a nasty reminder of people's taste at the time. If do-it-yourselfers belong to the second group, they have two options:
- they learn to get used to the tiles
- they give them a new look
Resurfacing a bathroom is a serious job - not just out organizational point of view. Because even the execution is only possible for experienced home improvement. If DIY enthusiasts buy their own home and can not live with the tiles with a brown floral pattern, they have two options to give them a new design:
- They cover the tiles with other tiles or adhesive films or
- they knock off the tiles and replace with new one.
The second possibility has the disadvantage that it is associated with a great effort. Do-it-yourselfers would have to cut tile by tile with a chisel and hammer hammer laboriously from the wall in this case, then eliminate the resulting pile of rubble and raze the uneven walls. Only then can they install the new tiles.
The second method is out of the question for tenants. You have no right to simply replace tiles without the consent of the landlord. On the other hand, you have the option of pasting the existing tiles with special products to give them a new design. Homeowners can also renew their tiles in the same way. However, there is another alternative for them: they cover their tiles with new models.
Prepare tiles before pasting
Regardless of whether home improvement companies decide to cover them with new tiles or tile stickers, some preliminary work is already required:
- Tile Inspection : Old tiles may look their age. Whether cracks and holes in the joints or cracked corners of the tiles - these problems have to find and eliminate do-it-yourselfers. Holes and cracks can be repaired with joint white. If the silicone joints are no longer nice to look at, you should remove them with a cutter and replace. Furthermore, do-it-yourselfers need a rubber mallet with which to perform a knock test and check whether the old tiles are stuck properly. Depending on the size of the bathroom, it is a time-consuming task.
- Tile cleaning : After the tiles and their joints have been corrected, a comprehensive cleaning is required. This is important for the new tiles or stickers to adhere properly. Do-it-yourselfers have to rid the surface of grease, dust, stains and other dirt. A soap or vinegar cleaner should be enough to remove these soiling. For stubborn dirt, do-it-yourselfers can use a special tile cleaner.
Solution 1: Stick tile to tile
Pasting old tiles with new, modern tiles is a popular way of bath renovation. It has the following advantages:
- financially relatively cheap
- easy to plan from an organizational point of view
- time spent is low
- do-it-yourselfers do not need special expertise
On the other hand, there are also some disadvantages:
- the bathroom gets a bit smaller
- two tile layers have to be knocked off in the upcoming renovation
Anyone who is aware of the advantages and disadvantages and still chooses this type of tile renovation must first prime and seal the old tiles , Special concentrates are available on the market, which are suitable for non-absorbent or weakly absorbent tiles. By treating with this product, the flooring will grip so that the new tiles can adhere.
- Trowel / smoothing trowel
- flexible adhesive
- new tiles
- Tile crosses
- Jointing mortar
- Jointing board
There are so-called flexible adhesives for attaching the tiles themselves , Thanks to their plastic coating, they can compensate for small movements of the surface without damaging the flooring. Flexible adhesives are available as a dry mix. Since they are based on cement, do-it-yourselfers have to mix these products with water. An alternative is the so-called dispersion adhesive, which can be processed directly.
After the numerous preparations, the actual work begins:
- apply the flexible adhesive with a trowel or smoothing trowel
- using only as much adhesive as you can
- then comb the tile with a toothed spatula
- glue the tiles from top to bottom, aligning them with the guideline
- for the most perfect joint use tile crosses
as soon as home improvement has glued on all tiles, they have to let their work rest. The glue takes several hours to dry. How long exactly does it take from the manufacturer's instructions, which can be found on the product packaging.
After drying, the joints are closed with a flexible joint mortar. The attachment takes place as in the tiles in sections. Do-it-yourselfers should make sure that they spread the mortar diagonally to the joints using a joint board. Only then can the mortar fill the joints completely. Excess material should be removed directly, otherwise it dries. As soon as the grout has turned a dull color, do-it-yourselfers can begin to clean the tile mirror with a damp sponge.
This is followed by another pause to allow the mortar to dry completely. Here, too, please observe the manufacturer's instructions.
Finally, there is only one task left: Fill the corner joints with sanitary silicone. This is all important where movements could arise:
- corner joints between two walls or the floor and a wall
- joints on sanitary objects
- expansion joints with particularly large floors
- joints (eg in doorways)
After a final dry phase, home improvement workers have successfully pasted their bathrooms with new tiles.
Solution 2: Renew tiles with stickers, stickers and more
The second solution to renovate the tiles is rental housing friendly, but also suitable for homeowners. who do not want to have rubble in their bathroom. These are stickers or stickers that do-it-yourselfers simply have to stick to the old tiles.
Films have developed into a very interesting, versatile product in recent years. Thanks to the advances in this field, products have been created that can be glued to almost any surface. The category of these products also includes wall stickers that are easy to install. The tile stickers are also based on the same principle: they can be easily stuck to tiles and removed without leaving any residue if necessary. The last feature makes them particularly popular among tenants.
- Tile stickers
- Cutting board
- Spray bottle
Do-it-yourselfers first have to search the internet to make suitable tile stickers. The selection is large, so it is recommended to buy some test stickers in different colors. These are then stuck on several tiles and decide which color is best for the bathroom and the existing furnishings.
If the bathroom is to receive new furniture and other elements later, it is recommended to plan it from the beginning. White tile stickers give plenty of creative freedom.
Here are some things to do: Do-it-yourselfers need to count their tiles - preferably several times, to be sure they've got the right number. For each tile a sticker is needed. Experts recommend double-gluing tile motifs
Now to glue the tiles:
- clean the tiles first (see the beginning of the article)
- Moisten fingertips and remove the stickers from the web
- Spray the adhesive side of the tile stickers with water
- Make the sticker as close as possible to the tile
- press out excess water with the squeegee to avoid blistering
- additionally use the towel to absorb water
After finishing the work, the old do-it-yourselfers will certainly notice. These can be brightened up with joint white - then the bathroom is ready.
Special tile design: partially gluing tiles over
It is not always necessary to equip the entire bathroom with new tiles or stickers. In some cases, when the bathroom is white tiled, for example, a partial redesign can work wonders.
Partial Tile Design
Both new tile and sticker gluing are suitable for this purpose. Do-it-yourselfers, for example, choose two new colors that differ greatly in color from the existing tiles. If you have a background with white tiles, for example, you can use two shades of gray, as shown in the picture.
Tiles can be pasted over in two ways: with new tiles or special tile stickers. The first variant is time and money consuming, but renews the bathroom from scratch. Tile stickers are a good solution for people who fear rubble. They are also suitable for tenants who are not allowed to cut tiles.
Artikelbild: © Mediagram / Shutterstock
Got mysql Error: Disk full (/var/tmp/#sql_5b37_0); waiting for someone to free some space...
in querySELECT a.id, a.id_category, a.id_tag, a.template, a.url, a.h1, a.h2, a.h3, a.stext, a.text, a.img , img_bing FROM en_content a left join en_cat_content tc on (a.id = tc.article_id) where tc.cat_id in ( 18 ) AND a.id <= 1645 group by a.id DESC LIMIT 0, 1