Fact or fake? Kitchen Wisdom at Check
" Moldy spots can simply be scraped off "The oven must always be preheated" and "What was only five seconds on the floor can also be eaten" - There are all sorts of supposedly kitchen wisdoms But what is true of that?
It's enough, moldy Just scratch or cut off?
Basically, mold provided by the manufacturer is harmless, the best example of which is the blue cheese, so it does not matter if the mold spreads after cutting the cheese The situation is different when the mold is first produced at home during storage. For example, a moldy bread may contain dangerous microorganisms. Then it is not enough to simply remove the moldy parts, because the invisible part of the mold can already pull through all the bread.
If you want to be on the safe side, it is better to dispose of moldy food completely.
Does the oven really have to preheated?
On many packages of finished products it is stated that the oven must first be preheated. This is not necessary for an optimal taste result. On the contrary: The food can also be placed directly in the oven. Although baking takes a little longer than indicated, you can save up to 15 percent of energy and time.
Can thawed food be frozen again?
Most foods can be frozen again after defrosting.
However, each time the product freezes and thaws, the cells of the products are damaged and micro-organisms multiply more rapidly.
It always depends on the food and the desired use. Beef, for example, which should be eaten raw as a tartar, you should not thaw several times. Fruits like berries, on the other hand, become more soggy with thawing, but can still easily be made into jam.
Can you still eat what was on the ground for only five seconds?
Everyone knows the five-second rule: when Food was less than five seconds on the floor, it may allegedly be eaten without hesitation. Thats not right. Microorganisms attack the food immediately and do not count until five. More important than the time that the food lay on the floor is therefore how clean the floor is. In addition, it certainly depends on the situation. If a piece of kohlrabi falls onto the kitchen floor while cooking a soup, it can still be used. If it is to be eaten directly raw by a child, it is better to rinse the vegetables again before.
Can mushrooms and spinach really not be warmed up?
That's basically true. The bacteria could convert the nitrate contained in the spinach to nitrosamines or nitrite when warming up. Especially in infants nitrite can limit the oxygen transport in the blood. Nitrosamines have a carcinogenic effect. In mushrooms, the protein is rapidly decomposed by bacteria when they are warmed up. It does not matter whether it is fresh, frozen or canned mushrooms. The decomposition products of these proteins can lead to indigestion. If you observe the following rules, you can warm mushrooms or spinach leftovers:
Keep the food cool.
- Leave the food in the fridge for at most one day.
- Then heat the food to at least 70 Degrees centigrade.
- Nevertheless, spinach and mushrooms should only be warmed up exceptionally.
Can spinach not be warmed up and must the oven really be preheated? Not all common kitchen wisdoms are really true. It is therefore worth checking the truth.
Product Image: varbenov / Bigstock.com