Moving with fish and aquarium
The amount of time you need to move must generally be planned according to the distance, the amount of goods to be loaded (ccm 3) and the peculiarities of the furnishings. All of this can be planned in such a way that the breaks between the individual steps are less significant. When moving with fish and the associated aquarium is different, the stress factor for the animals is enormous. Unlike pets, it is not advisable to temporarily tag the fish until completion of the move. "
In this article, you will find the most important information about moving with fish, progressively prepared and coordinated.
1. Step: Preparatory Measures
A precondition for a regulated process is a fixed date on which sufficient time and a certain time buffer are available. Basically, it is advisable to use the & quot; inappropriate & quot; To avoid seasons. The problem is that the aquarium itself is relatively temperature sensitive. In plain language, this means avoiding larger temperature fluctuations. This usually eliminates the winter months, as the difference between room temperature and ambient temperature is simply too high. There is nothing in principle against an aquarium move in the summer, though the more moderate evening or night hours are recommended here. But even here a move of the aquarium, "as it is", is not recommended. The fish and plants should be separated into individual transport containers for this, because both of course have different "tolerance values".
If necessary, the plants can be stored for a longer period of time. The fish, on the other hand, are less likely to be exposed to longer transport periods and changes in their surroundings. In the local retailers you receive transport boxes made of styrofoam, in these then the fish can be used later. They are placed in special fish transport bags, which you get in any good zoo or pet shop. For larger aquariums and a larger number of fish, it would be useful to divide the animals by their genus. The aquarium itself can still be transported by means of normal cool bags with appropriate size. For larger models, padded transport boxes or boards are recommended, which are securely tied down with corner supports and straps.
The less oxygen there is in the transport bags, the better. This can usually be done without a separate oxygen cylinder or compressor. The contact persons are first and foremost the specialist retailers who also sell the transport bags.
2. Step: Practice Procedures for the Moving Day
To prepare for all eventualities, you should have at least one spare copy in stock for most products. The bags may break if handled improperly, here would be a & quot; double bottom & quot; as reinforcement necessary. In addition, the animals should be carefully prepared to be torn from their normal environment for a period of time.
- In the days leading up to the move, feed sufficient and especially varied to create reserves and a strong immune defense for the time of the move
- Offending animals pose a risk to everyone else not only under normal conditions, but even more so in the days after the move. It is therefore recommended to reduce the risk of infection for all other animals by killing sick animals by means of a neckline.
- Feeding should be stopped no later than two days before moving in order not to risk exposure to water during transport.
3rd step: The processes on the moving day
On the move itself it is advisable to organize with several helpers the transport and the loading of the aquarium, the basin or the filter. If new aquarium water can stand in the new home overnight, the old aquarium water must also be bottled for no purpose.
- Remove plants with slight pressure from the pelvis and pack as similar as possible, only slightly moist enough here. Shortening the roots is recommended at the same time for better replanting.
- The easiest way to separate the fish is to sort them into smaller buckets or transparent containers. In case of doubt, you should choose more transport bags here than to transport too many fish in too small a space. The filling should then not be done by landing net, but simply by filling and pouring. A ratio of 1 to 2 in relation to water to oxygen is optimal, only then should the bag be sealed with a solid rubber ring.
- Depending on the fish species, it may be useful to additionally strengthen the transport bag. Especially fish with pointed fins tend to damage the bag wall and partially pierce. Their movement is more hectic than usual.
- Oxygenated tablets, which are often recommended as a supplement when transporting fish, should be avoided. When using such supplements, the risk is correspondingly large that the gills of the fish become eroded or a narrowing of the mucous membranes occurs. For shipments under ten or twelve hours, such an addition is not necessary anyway. Only for longer transports it may be advisable to use oxygen cylinders in combination with pressure reduction.
When inserting the transport bags into the prepared styrofoam box, a horizontal position is recommended. If transported by vehicles, these bags should be positioned so that jerking is minimized.
4. Step: Transporting the aquarium together with individual parts
When transporting the aquarium, it is particularly important to disassemble and store the sensitive individual parts properly. Only after a complete process, the filter can be removed, but does not need to be dried - it is transported in slightly damp condition. Also, a washout is not very useful. Instead, it is often worthwhile to check the installed hoses and replace them if necessary. This is always recommended if they are slightly brittle.
After the pelvis has been freed from all individual parts and deposits of algae and the like, it is placed on a preparatory underground. Non-slip adhesions would be useful, so that only clogging with damping materials and lashing on the sides is necessary.
5. Step: Reconstruction in the new apartment
The separate transport of the individual components has succeeded, now the last step is the reconstruction of the aquarium. After the construction of the aquarium, the use of filters, underground and Co., it is all about the gentle reintegration of the fish. These, which are still in individual fish transport bags, can now be transferred to larger containers. This helps in the acclimatization, the addition of regularly new water causes an appreciation and at best equalization to the coming water level. Gradual feeding is much more careful, as this means better overall mixing and a calming effect on the fish in general.
To adjust the water temperature, it is advisable to use boiled water. Since pipelines are often pre-loaded with copper deposits, special water purifiers should be used here.
Conclusion and Concluding Remarks
When transporting an aquarium with fish, it is important to proceed in individual and coordinated steps. The specialized trade offers tried and tested, sturdy transport containers, which are sensibly divided up for the animals. It remains important to separate different species of fish during the meantime. So it is always advisable to transport catfish exclusively with their conspecifics. Otherwise, they would pose a risk to all other fish, as they secrete certain toxins in confined spaces. This would have particularly for loquacies dramatic consequences.
In general, the preparation and follow-up is important, because the animals are susceptible to infection for a short time after the exertion of the move. The more careful the transmission in terms of water quality, water temperature and the like, the better.
When moving aquariums, it is important to prepare the fish and transport them properly. In the pet shop, there are all necessary transport utensils. The addition of supplements, ie vitamin supplements, strengthens the animal's immune system.
Artikelbild: © AS Photo Project / Bigstock.com