The Desk: Tips for Buying and Ergonomic Work
More and more people work in the office day after day. Here they often spend more than eight hours sitting. This position is extremely stressful for the body. In order to relieve the burden on one's own body and not harm one's health, the following are valuable tips for the purchase and the setting up of the desk as well as information on ergonomic working.
My Desk is my Castle
The Office table is the most important part of every office. There is a notebook or screen, keyboard and mouse, shelves, coffee mugs, pens, notepads and other things you need. Like the book "My Desk is my Castle". shows, most people do not care much about the decor and order. Sticking notes to screens, papers and folders criss-cross on the desk, somewhere under it may still be the lunch of last week. When the phone rings, hell breaks out, after all, it's only with a lot of effort to find it. For many people, disorder is intentional , marking their territory and demonstrating their own status. What does not fit on the table ends up in a drawer where it is often forgotten.
It should be clear that the disorder described above is not only counterproductive, but also causes unnecessary stress. Therefore, every person who spends most of his working life at a desk should take care of the order. But: Some companies prohibit private stuff completely on the desks of their employees. That makes for a bad mood and is completely covered. Of course you do not have this problem at home, but minimally equipped workplaces are not the best solution for everyone.
What does the ideal desk look like?
Ideal in this case is relative; Desk to suit your own needs. For example, if you want to set up a small home office at home as an architect, you may need plenty of space for sketches and other large documents. But now some information about office tables:
- Plate size : The standard is 160 x 80 centimeters today. This depth is sufficient for normal use, since most desktops have notebooks or flat screens or flat all-in-one computers (iMac for example). The width can be too small, depending on the activity. In this case, a checklist helps with the activities that you will perform. Measure the floor calmly and place all things that will stand on the future office table.
- Height : The standard height is usually 72 centimeters. This is no longer sufficient for many office people. Even the best office chair will not work if the desk forces the worker to work from the bottom up. Those interested should take a look at the height-adjustable office tables or the sit-stand desks.
- Cable Management : Nothing is worse than desk mess. Anyone who is an enemy of order anyway should at least make sure that the cables from the mouse, keyboard, monitor and other devices are not in the way. Loose cables are not only a hindrance to the work, they can also be dangerous or damage equipment.
- Container : Side containers can increase the working area if it is the same height as the office table. As additional storage space, the containers are suitable for all documents that do not have to be available at all times, such as staplers, punches, tools, personal items, etc.
- Quality : Desks are available at the hardware store for relatively low sums. That's enough for some people. But keep in mind that quality always has its price. If you invest more money in your purchase, you will enjoy your office desk for a longer period of time and the table will certainly survive one or the other move.
The Positioning of the Table and the Elements
Even before the purchase, employees should think twice where you want to position your desktop . Studies have proven that the position has a direct influence on the concentration, performance and well-being of people. It is ideal to position the table in such a way that the door is visible from the office desk. There should be a wall behind the table, according to Feng-Shui, so you make better decisions. The problem: In this setup is often unavoidable that a window is behind the people. The Sunlight on the monitor is annoying, even if it is an anti-glare monitor. Ergonomically, each monitor should be at a 90-degree angle to the window front.
Artikelbild: © PlusONE / Shutterstock